If You Are Not Having Fun It’s Time To Go
I spoke with a friend recently who is considering leaving her job. She’s been with her company for about 10 years in various positions and has seen the company grow to 500+ employees. As we weighed the “should I or shouldn’t I,” one statement stuck out: “it’s just not fun anymore.”
That says a lot right there.
“Fun” is different for everyone and every workplace but if you aren’t having any fun, why are you there? Why are you spending 40+ hours a week miserable?
Of course, not every moment at work can or should be fun, it is work, but if you:
- Are not challenged
- Are not fulfilled
- Are not having fun or
- You don’t like the people you work with
Maybe it’s time for a change?
Work has to be doing something for you in that list or it really is time to move on.
Making the decision to move to a different company is a tough one. I made that decision myself a few months ago. You have new people, a new boss, new responsibilities, etc;
The list of “new” goes on and that can be terrifying.
But don’t let that hold you back. You can easily explore new possibilities without making the leap to a new company or job:
- Volunteer for a cause you care about
- Join a professional organization and attend some seminars
- Call old colleagues and take them to lunch or coffee – find out how they are doing personally and professionally. Where do they see the industry/company going? Are they in new roles?
- Show the world you are awesome at what you do
And if you do decide it’s time to jump to a new role or a new company here are some resources to help you out: