Get HR Some Love
As an HR pro you are not the most popular person at your company.
Captain Obvious aren’t I?
You already know why people don’t like HR.
You are a savvy individual trying to make work suck less (which is how you stumbled upon my fabulous blog).
Today I’m going to list ways that HR can make work suck less and in the process make the people we support love us. Or like us more…I’ll take like too. Besides love and work don’t always go together.
Anyway, here goes:
1. Customer Service – There is a company that sells shoes that is great at customer service. I can’t say their name because I would have to take a drink. You know who I’m talking about. Our HR teams should be that good at customer service.
2. Get involved – If you are in HR, you are in the business of networking and to some extent branding. Most of your positions will be filled locally, get to know and understand the labor market in your community.
3. Keep It Simple – You don’t need a five page dress code policy. You don’t need a convoluted process to determine who can and cannot work from home. If you have to reference a cheat sheet to explain how someone’s bonus was calculated you need to go back to the drawing board.
4. Be Honest – Don’t tout your flexible scheduling program if you know the hiring manager doesn’t allow his/her employees to participate. Being honest without crossing lines of confidentiality or professionalism is tough, I struggle with this everyday but when you level with people you get more then “like” you get respect.
5. Realize you are in a position of to effect the organization every day and that is awesome. And yes I really believe what I just wrote. I don’t care if you are doing data entry or determining strategic initiatives. I don’t care if your organization thinks payroll is HR. You can make calling HR easy by providing answers and solutions. You can be the resource that cuts through company bureaucracy and red -tape. This is my easiest suggestion and you can start right now.
What do you think? What can HR do to make work suck less?