Like People? HR is not for you

You may also like...

8 Responses

1. Manage Better Now says:

I would argue that it is the difference between a proactive HR person and a reactive HR person. If they are reactive and waiting for managers to come to them, then they are going to deal predominately with problem employees. If they proactively engage employees (training, surveys, involvement in employee functions) then they are dealing with a much more representative sample of employees. If that does not get them excited and inspire them, then it is time to look for a new career field.

2. chris says:

Why would you be in “Human” resources if you don’t like Humans? Yes we get burnt out and blamed and outsourced but that’s part of the job. Yes people are dirty and sometimes crazy but that’s part of the job.

Excellent personal story here.

• Melissa says:

Thanks for the comment Chris. Someone gave me some great advice, they said I have lots of observations and insight and should use those more…good advice! 😉

3. NatashaLCP says:

What a depressing attitude – thanks goodness most in HR don’t seem to share it!

• Melissa says:

I couldn\’t agree more! Needless to say I\’ve always watched out for that kind of attitude when interviewing for new positions. Thanks for the comment!

4. HRNasty says:

Melissa, great content here!

I have also heard and seen this attitude. I think that at some level there is a mentality out there that all HR does is fire employees, conduct lay offs and put people on performance plans, and that if you like people, you wouldn’t want to be a part of this. I think that if you really like people, you will do everything you can to help people succeed in the work place so that they are NOT put onto performance plans. A perfect example is your blog. You are trying to help. HR’s job is to not just push paperwork, but to figure out a way to communicate with the work force including the “jerks” so they understand the reasons behind the business. Sometimes this means you need to be honest with folks and these are the difficult conversations that some folks in HR don’t have the courage to have.

What most people do not see is all of the conversations and coaching that goes on behind the scenes that DOES help people figure out success. That is what makes the job rewarding.

HRNasty